Sunday 26 April 2009

Moab is my washpot


Hi




I promised myself I would write a post on this book, after I finished reading it. But what with one thing or another I finished reading it about a month ago! So anyway a bit late but here is a review on Stephen Fry's autobiography. Moab is my washpot.
Of course Stephen is well known to most people in England. Famous for his part in Blackadder, Double act with Hugh Laurie and Qi tv series. However I don't think many people knew much about his youth untill this book came out.
So for the benifit of anyone who hasn't read it I will give a brief overview. That hopefully dosen't leave no reason to read the book. The book tells the story of the first 20 years of Stephen's life. As he goes through several schools,drifts the country and eventually gets arrested for credit card fraud (or whatever the crime is called). There are several things (for want of a better word) that Stephen struggled with through his youth and, that very nearly destroyed him. One was the stealing, something that Stephen talks about very very honestly. But does show deep deep remorse for. The other is love (again I'm sure most people know Stephen is gay). Although when you read his story and the feelings he struggled with, the love is so very similar to any other love story straight or gay the names are interchangeable with whoever you like. In this instance however the love is for a boy named Mathew, who Stephen falls immediately for. While aged 14ish at his High school.
I personaly do identify with the story quite strongly, as I'm sure most who have read it will. I am being carefull not to say anymore as it may reduce the need to read the book, which would be a crime!
Another fantastic quality of this book is Stephen's glorious use of language. With his unique linguistic gift, Stephen shows his feelings with an amzing clarity. Which makes the book a pleasure to read.
I can't say how much I recommend this book other than to say I would give the book 9 out of 10! I won't give it 10 as I promise myself I will never give anything 10 out of 10.
But do read it!

Next post will be on Astronomy.


Kyle

2 comments:

  1. I've read that ; Tis over-rated in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would prefer it had a bit more detail. But I wouldn't say it was overrated.
    Astronomyrocks

    ReplyDelete